We are working to pass legislation in Virginia in 2022 to ensure a level of democracy & transparency at rural electric co-ops (RECs) so that RECs better serve co-op member-owners! In January 2022, Delegate Gooditis introduced HB 723 to move the electric co-ops in Virginia to a more inclusive governance process. Two-page factsheet on HB723. Repower REC is working with SVEC Check, Appalachian Voices, Piedmont Environmental Council, Solar United Neighbors, Virginia Organizing, and Virginia Sierra Club on this important campaign!
Only one electric co-op in Virginia has board meetings open to members. A lack of transparency at electric co-ops in Virginia has led to many problems and challenges for cooperative member-owners. These problems include: “surprise rate hikes”, slow adoption of new technology and energy options that members want, and member funds used to lobby against member interests.
- Learn more in our Virginia Electric Co-op Scorecard
- We also have a one-page Problem Statement here.
- And hear from co-op democracy experts from across the U.S. in our September 2021 webinar “Make sure your electric co-op serves you“
We have narrowed our focus to state legislation encompassing three solutions :
- Open board meetings
- Fair elections: by ending proxy voting
- Transparency in use of member funds for political lobbying
Contact us: email@example.com